How to record screen with system sound and microphone sound on Mac
Use QuickTime Player and a third-party audio driver to record it.
1. Download and install third-party audio drivers for macOS, such as soundflower, blackhole.
2. Open QuickTime Player and select New Screen Recording in the menu bar.
3. Select the area you want to record. Change the microphone to the audio driver you installed in step 1 in the recording control panel, and click the record button.
4. When the recording is complete, click the stop recording button on the top status bar to save the recording file.
The following are the main limitations of using QuickTime Player to record the screen with system sound and microphone sound on Mac.
1. QuickTime Player cannot record the microphone and system sound at the same time.
2. When recording the screen with system sound using QuickTime Player, the system sound will no longer come out from the computer speakers or headphones because the third-party audio driver will capture the sound.
Use Omi Screen Recorder to record the screen with system sound and microphone sound on Mac.
After trying many screens recording Apps on Mac, I finally found A free screen recording App that supports recording system sound and microphone sound on the Mac App Store - Omi Screen Recorder.
The First use of the Omi Screen Recorder
After installing the omi screen recorder, an authorization window will prompt when you open the APP for the first time, requesting permission to record the screen, microphone, and camera. It is recommended to allow all of these permissions here. Of course, if these permissions are not allowed here, an authorization window will pop up again when you start recording later.
Start recording and enable recording system sound and microphone sound.
1. After launching the App, click on the Omi Screen Recorder icon on the status bar to show the main menu. Choose Record Screen (default global shortcut key: Ctrl + ⌘ + 1) or Record Area (default global shortcut key: Ctrl + ⌘ + 2).
2. It shows the recording options panel at the bottom of the screen. Check the System Audio checkbox, and a system alert will pop up to let you download the Omi Screen Recorder Audio Driver PKG Installer. Double-click to install it after downloading.
3. After installation, do the operations in steps 1 and 2 again. Check the System Audio checkbox and the Microphone checkbox if you want to record the microphone sound simultaneously. If you are using an external microphone device, click the drop-down icon beside the Microphone checkbox(the system's built-in microphone will be selected by default).
4. Click the red circle button on the recording options panel to start recording directly (default shortcut key Ctrl + ⌘ + R). The system sound will come out from your headphones or speaker simultaneously when recording with it.
5. Click the end button on the status bar to finish recording and save the recorded video.